Tonsillitis may be caused by a bacterial or a viral infection. Tonsillitis can spread from an infected person to others through coughing, sneezing, or touching. The germs can spread through kissing or sharing food and drinks. Germs spread easily in schools and daycare centers and between family members at home.
Recurrent tonsillitis is often defined as:
- a sore throat or tonsillitis at least 5 to 7 times in 1 year
- occurrences at least 5 times in each of the previous 2 years
- occurrences a least 3 times in each of the previous 3 years
Signs and Symptoms
- Fever and sore throat
- Nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
- Cough or hoarseness
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Yellow or white patches on the back of the throat
- Bad breath
- Rash on the body or in the mouth
Tonsils are your first line of defense against illness. They produce white blood cells that help your body fight infection.
The tonsils combat bacteria and viruses that enter your body through your mouth and nose. However, tonsils are also vulnerable to infection from these invaders.
Tonsillitis can be caused by a virus, such as the common cold, or by a bacterial infection, such as strep throat.
Diagnosis of tonsillitis
Diagnosis is based on a physical examination of your throat. Your doctor may also take a throat culture by gently swabbing the back of your throat. The culture will be sent to a laboratory to identify the cause of your throat infection.
Several treatments you can try at home to ease throat pain from tonsillitis:
- drink plenty of fluids
- get lots of rest
- gargle with warm salt waterseveral times a day
- use throat lozenges
- eat popsicles or other frozen foods
- use a humidifierto moisten the air in your home
1. Arsenic Album-The best Homeopathic medicine for tonsillitis with restlesness and increased thirst
When there is increased thirst and restlessness present along with enlarged tonsils, Arsenic album is the best homeopathic medicine for tonsillitis. The tonsils get inflamed due to exposure to cold or after taking cold drinks or cold food. Hot drinks or hot food relieves the pain, even if temporarily. Fever may be present along with tonsillitis.
2. Belladonna-One of the best Homeopathic medicines for tonsillitis with great redness
When there is intense redness of the throat with heat and burning, Belladonna is one of the best homeopathic medicines for tonsillitis. The tonsils become red as if looking angry. Tonsils swell and enlarge. Swallowing is difficult and it is even more difficult to swallow liquids. The face becomes hot, red and flushed. The mouth and throat are dry but there is no desire to drink water. High grade fever may be present along with tonsillitis.
3. HeparSulphur– One of the best Homeopathic medicines for tonsillitis with suppuration
When there is formation of pus in the tonsils, HeparSulph is one of the best homeopathic medicines for tonsillitis. There is intense pain and sensitivity. Slightest cold air or water can cause the problem. While swallowing, there is pain in the throat as if a splinter is there. The pain may extend to the ears while swallowing. Chilliness may also be present with other symptoms of tonsillitis.
4. Merc Sol– One of the best Homeopathic medicines for tonsillitis with increased perspiration
When there is profuse perspiration along with other symptoms, Merc Sol is one of the best homeopathic medicines for tonsillitis. There is blush red swelling in the throat. A constant desire to swallow is present. Chilliness may also be present. Every change of weather aggravates the problem. Pain increases at night. There may be increased salivation in the mouth along with other symptoms of tonsillitis.
5. Baryta Carb– One of the best Homeopathic remedies for tonsillitis that recurs on every exposure to cold
When the child gets a bout of tonsillitis on every exposure to cold, Baryta Carb is one of the best homeopathic remedies for tonsillitis. The child is very susceptible to cold, whether it is cold air or water. Pain is worse on empty swallowing. Tonsils may even suppurate.